Saturday, March 17, 2012

May the road rise up to meet you...

Hello my lovlies!  It's 12:06 AM here in St. Louis, and that means it's St Patrick's Day, the day when everyone's a little bit Irish!

It just so happens that I will be attending, in just over 12 hours, the wedding of two young people of Irish descent here in our fair city, and as the luck of the Irish or the fair blessing of St Patrick himself would have it, I found a  sweet little vintage something to tuck in with their gift to bring them luck in their new life together:

A pretty little brass shamrock paperweight

It's a little bigger than palm-of-your-hand sized, and on back it has the famous Irish blessing:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

It's a pretty little paperweight and a beautiful blessing and I hope it brings good luck and long life to the Cronin/Sullivan family!

As for me, I am super excited you guys:  I am going to wear a real vintage dress to the wedding.  I know, you're thinking that's not nearly as big a deal as I'm making it, but hear me out:

1.  I very rarely have an event to really dress up for.
2. I am a super cheapskate, and therefore do not go to real vintage shops, but instead comb estate sale (after the real dealers have come and gone - I don't get up early), thrift stores, and Donnaland at the Lemp Brewery two weeks ago.
3. I am not a particularly small person.  Most people back in the day were smaller than me, therefore there is not much in the way of vintage that fits me and is also not hideous and is also just laying around a thrift store at a reasonable price without having been already snapped up.  So far in my life, this one dress is it.

So to me, it's like the stars have aligned!  I have to get some stockings in the morning still, and find the plain black cardigan I know I have around here somewhere, but I have a couple of vintage shoe and bag choices, and this:

Black lace, rhinestone-studded shift dress - that fits me!



Can you see the way the rhinestones are mounted?  It's beautifully done.

And the price.  That's right kids - $3.99.  See the nice old metal zipper, too?

I think I may be more proud of this dress than I am my college diploma.  For one thing, I know where the dress is!  Also, I got a much better deal on it.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment