Monday, April 9, 2012

Some fun Spring thrifts

It was a long work week last week and with Easter this weekend, I didn't get to hit any estate sales, but I did manage one quick visit into a thrift store this last week, and that one 20-minute trip was well worth it!  I came away with a few choice items:



A cute little pair of ceramic owls on a log with a small pop of color from a pair of polka-dotted mushrooms.

Super sweet drip-glazed big-mouth frog complete with fly on his nose.

Dandelion design glasses - I got 3 of them.  Love!

I love dandelions.  I love that they are these bright, cheery, happy little flowers with a fierce etymology (dent-de-lion = lion's tooth).  I love that the fluffs look like delicate balls of lace and I love that as cute and delicate as they seem, they are strong and tenacious and no matter how hard people try to get rid of them, they just keep on coming back as cheery and cute as ever.  They don't care if you call them weeds, they know they are flowers and they will bring their simple beauty right back to you every time.  I think it's a beautiful metaphor.

Sorry for the digression; on with the thrifts!

Another piece of enameled cast-iron cookware!
The skillet says 26 France Nomar on it's base.  The company does not appear to be around anymore, although one reference I saw and then could not find again indicated that it was bought out/replaced by/renamed to become Staub.  The skillet is in good shape, but unfortunately the wooden handle is both split and blackened on the bottom.
Very cool patterened thermos.  It's missing it's inner cap, and it rattles, but the interior that you can see appears to be intact, so I'm not sure what the deal is with this one.  I wonder if it would look cute as a vase?
And best for last:
Awesome picnic set!
I love this.  The slide-top box you see looks like it would be good to hold sandwiches, and the thermos is in great shape - a little soup or coffee?  And the iconic Thermos Tartan plaid!  Originally the bigger, rattle-y thermos above was actually in this bag, and this smaller, matching thermos was found nearby, but as this one both matches and does not rattle, it was returned to its rightful place after purchase, and I will figure out what to do with the bigger one with the cool print but questionable noises later.  Now a nice picnic blanket is in order, and it's off to the park for a picnic among the dandelions!

Have you been finding any thrifty treasures lately?  

2 comments:

  1. Cute finds. I am lovin' the picnic set. The tartan is lovely and traditional. Can't wait for the weather to picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute, isn't it? And it would have been the perfect day for a picnic here today - I think it made it to 70 degrees - beautiful. But I'm going to wash it all up and put it in my booth - along with a cute coordinating throw or tablecloth, if I can find one!

    ReplyDelete